Monday, July 2, 2007

Disappearing Monkey sock

I have now started two Monkey socks. The first sock was cast on while staying at my mom's house on 6/22-6/23, and I took it to the rehabilitation center to show it to her. (She's 86 and recovering from a stroke that she had on 5/29) I have weekend duty, and my sister who's a teacher visits her a couple of times during the week. Somehow with all of this traipsing around, the first sock--yarn, needles, and everything--has hidden itself from view. Have searched my car, my house, and mom's house to no avail. So, I cast on for a new pair on Friday nite and they made it back to Indy with me this trip (my mom lives about an hour away in her hometown where about 100 of our other relatives live). Will post a picture of the new sock when I figure out what I did wrong when knitting the YO2 through the back loop. (I lost about 3 stitches on that row, so I did it right once and 3 times wrong. ) Have frogged back and will concentrate on it this evening.

Mom is progressing well--no paralysis. She called 911 herself at 3:30 am, gave the guys on the ambulance directions on how to get into the house, and talked them into giving her her cell phone so that she could call us and tell us about what happened. She's about 32 days into a 90 day rehabilitation program. It might not take that long. Her physical therapist told her to walk twice with her walker on Saturday & Sunday with me accompanying her down to the nurses station and back. (Bare in mind that when she got there on 6/1 she was in a wheelchair and required assistance to use the bathroom, get to meals, etc., so she's come a long way) She did well, but she forgets about the hand brakes, so I practiced jumping out at her so that she could steady herself and hit the brakes (not really much of a surprise). My family has a strange sense of what is funny, so keep this in mind.

Will post a picture of the correct socks tonight.

No comments: